Dan + Shay ‘obsessed’ with making music for fans
Warner Music Nashville artists Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney continue to shine as the platinum-selling country duo Dan + Shay. Sophomore album Obsessed arrives as the follow up to the pair’s No. 1 debut, Where It All Began, which was also produced by Smyers and award-winning helmsman Scott Hendricks (Faith Hill, Brooks & Dunn, Restless Heart, Trace Adkins). The new album debuts at No. 2 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart and No. 8 on the Billboard 200. Lead single ‘From the Ground Up’ was the most added song at country radio two weeks before its official impact date, and the song is their fastest rising single to date.
The duo says the idea for the new album title came directly from fans, who the two singer-songwriters noticed using the hashtag “#obsessed” on social media. “Our fans know we live on social media both when we’re in and out of the studio, and we started noticing that hashtag ‘#obsessed’ being tagged in all our fans’ posts when we first revealed our single, ‘From The Ground Up,'” explains Mooney in a label news release. “So when it came time to pick a title for this album, it seemed pretty appropriate that we’re [sic] even more obsessed with making music for our fans than they are to hear it.”
‘From the Ground Up’ was released as the first single from Obsessed back in February. Smyers and Mooney wrote the heartfelt song with Chris DeStefano. It was inspired, in part, by the death of both artists’ grandparents. It stands as a tribute to the love their grandparents had for one another. ‘From the Ground Up’ is currently No. 11 on the Mediabase Country airplay chart and No. 9 on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart.
Dan + Shay have also released special companion videos for four of the new album’s 10 tracks. ‘Already Ready’ was introduced as part of the duo’s Facebook feature called “Artist of the Day.” The pair then subsequently released videos for ‘Road Trippin’’ and ‘How Not To’ along with the title track. The launch of Obsessed follows the announcement that their first No. 1 single, ‘Nothin’ Like You,’ achieved RIAA gold record sales certification. The duo was also a Group/Duo Video of the Year Award at the recent CMT Awards.
Obsessed is the follow up to the duo’s 2014 debut, Where It All Began, which made Dan + Shay the first new country duo in SoundScan recorded history to debut at No. 1 on Billboard’s Country Albums Chart. The previous album includes three hit singles including the chart-topping ‘Nothin' Like You.’ Smyers says the songs on Where It All Began define who the duo is.
“They’re honest, and this whole project started with Shay and I writing songs together. That’s how we met. ‘Where It All Began’ is the story of who we are, who we were and who we’re going to be.” The duo is coming off their 2015 Just the Right Kind of Crazy sold-out tour. They’re currently on the road with Michael Ray as the opening acts for Darius Rucker’s Good for a Good Time Tour, and open for Chris Young in September and October during the ‘Think Of You’ singer’s I’m Comin’ Over tour.
Watch Dan + Shay in the official music video for ‘From The Ground Up’ from the country duo’s new album titled, Obsessed.
As A Matter of Fact…
* Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney make up the country music duo known as Dan + Shay. Smyers was born and raised in Pittsburgh suburb of Wexford, Pa., where he discovered songwriting at age 14, and began playing guitar two years later. Mooney grew up in Natural Dam, Ark., and started writing and playing music as young as age twelve.
* The singing and songwriting team met in Nashville in December 2012. They immediately began writing songs and performing together, creating a “bright and contemporary country-pop sound” that got them a deal with Warner Bros. Nashville.
* Debut single, ‘19 You + Me,’ was written by Dan + Shay with Danny Orton (Rascal Flatts, Tim McGraw, Reba McEntire). The song was released in the summer of 2013, peaked at No. 7 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, and went gold as country radio’s most added debut for 2013.
* In the spring of 2014, Dan + Shay dropped debut album, Where It All Began, featuring ‘19 You + Me’ along with the No. 16 hit single ‘Nothin' Like You.’ The track ‘Show You Off’ was a Top 30 single on the country charts.
* Dan + Shay was nominated Group/Duo Video of the Year Award at the 2016 CMT Awards, and has earned nominations from the ACM (Vocal Duo of the Year), CMA (Vocal Duo), American Country Countdown Award, and Radio Disney Music Awards.
* Earning an RIAA gold record certification; touring with Blake Shelton, Darius Rucker, and Chris Young; and being nominated for ACM, CMA, and CMT awards puts Dan + Shay on a course to follow in the footsteps of their influences Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, and Tim McGraw.